LUX/ICA summer school bursaries
20th April 2012
Bursaries for South West based artists and curators to attend the LUX/ICA biennial of moving images in May 2012
The Sensible Stage: Staging and the Moving Image is a collection of newly commissioned texts that explore the relationship between the moving image, performance and theatricality in recent contemporary art practice.
Edited by Bridget Crone and published by Picture This with Bridget Crone / Plenty Projects, the book will be launched during The LUX/ICA Biennial of Moving Images, 23 to 27 May 2012 with a programme of performances.
To celebrate the launch of the publication, Plenty Projects in collaboration with Spike Island and Picture This are pleased to offer bursaries for Bristol based and South West based artists, curators and art writers to attend the Artists' School (convened by Ian White) or the Curating Course (convened by George Clark), which take place during the Biennial.
These will provide an excellent opportunity to meet the international artists and curators who are presenting at the Biennial, as well as to discuss and develop your own practice and meet new peers.
Applicants will need to:
- Be available to attend The LUX/ICA Biennial of Moving Images Artists' School, 23 -27 May, 2012
- Be available to attend The LUX/ICA Biennial of Moving Images Curating Course, 24 -25 May 2012;
All bursary holders are also asked to:
1. Attend the launch events for The Sensible Stage: Staging and the Moving Image;
2. Write a review, give a talk or otherwise document the launch events for publication on the Picture This website. Please suggest a format for this outcome in your bursary application.
A total of £150 is available to each applicant as a contribution towards travel and accommodation expenses. In addition we will pay the Artists School or Curating Course fees (£150 for the Artists' School and £60 for the Curating Course).
For South West based artists, writers and curators there is one bursary for a place at the Artists' School and one bursary for a place at the Curators' School
In addition there are two bursaries for the Artists' School that are restricted to members of Spike Associates, Spike Island, Bristol only.
To apply, please:
1. Write a 500-word statement about your practice, its relationship to and your interest in artists' moving image practices;
2. Include a short one-page CV and link to your Vimeo channel if you are an artist.
NB: We cannot accept DVDs or CDs and will only be able to look at work submitted via Vimeo.
Applications close 5pm Friday 27th April. We will notify successful applicants on Friday 4th May). Please email your statement, CV and Vimeo link to email@example.com
Picture This, Plenty Projects and Spike Associates have awarded Hannah James, Laura Phillips, Hannah Still and Marko Wilkinson bursuries to attend